Skip to main content

How to survive being social




I've been trying to find a good way to explain how we can 'learn' to be more social. Notice I don't say sociable. Being sociable assumes a predisposition to not only live with and get along with people but also a need for their company and a willingness to want them near. I'm not going totally crazy here, so I'm sticking with social.

Being social means not poking people in the eye when they say damn fool things to you. It means smiling and trying not to look like your gall bladder is puckering just looking at them. It is staying in the same room as your brother's obnoxious wife and swattable children. It is enduring other people while trying to make it look like you don't mind. Or hate them all.

The assumption that we all need to be social seems ingrained in humanity's collective consciousness. I guess it's a throwback to working as a team (sorry! I used the T word!) or at least having expendable tribe members to throw to the oncoming tiger.

We need to get along to survive; we need to be able to work with one another to make humanity a successful, thriving species on the face of a harsh planet. We need each other so there will be more of us later.

I know I won't be the only one who has noticed we succeeded. The planet is full of us and we managed to keep the human race going long enough to see off that nasty old tiger, once and for all. But still we go on and on and on, expecting other human beings to become part of the (give me a second, it hurts, I'll be fine, hang on) team.

Ignoring the need for actual survival, let's see why it might be good to be social - and I mean the non-aspie, everyday concept of social where you speak to people face to face, in the real world, with no phone or computer between you. Yes, the awful kind of social.

It's hard to get along in the world without learning the rules for social conduct. We don't need to be brilliant at them, just good enough to pass muster. As adults we can choose whether we put up with our brother and his annoying brood but family relations may become very strained if we make the decision not to see the brother again. This makes other people twitchy; they want to bring us all together, they want to reform the whole and make us see how much we need one another.

I guess it's kind of like one massive liver trying to heal itself - it seems the whole body needs the separate parts to work together, no matter how different they are. For the sake of family harmony, we bear his wife droning on about her new clothes, we put up with his grinning, overbearing, smug little brats stomping about all over the special edition Dr Who magazines. (Well, no, I joke of course. We either grab the offending children and clasp the magazines to our breast or we take unseen revenge later).

The point is, we put up and more or less shut up in the interests of an overall easier life. We try to do what other people do so that we won't bring on lots of extra difficulties later. And if it all becomes too much, we hide for a while and gather the strength to face the hordes again.

Being social is hard work but the only way to cope with it is by making sure you include other people in your life, even if it is in a small way. I've forced myself to go for milk before now when I would rather scream and dig a hole to hide in simply because I knew if I left it another day I might not leave the house for a month.

I don't mean we all have to do things we don't want to - this is the kind of tripe trotted out by bilious people who think being an aspie or not coping is something you can force out, like a splinter. No, I mean treat it like a vaccination: you need to be exposed to a little of the disease to survive the full plague. A little bit of humanity at a time makes it easier to cope when you really, truly need to see people.

In the case of learning to be social, regular, small amounts of contact keep you topped up for bigger bouts and also help you to recover afterwards. Being social does not mean liking it but in the end it's one of the few times I will tell you to face your fears and push a little harder. Unfortunately we do sometimes need other people and sometimes they need us.

Still, take heart readers. I don't expect you to be a team player, or take one for the team, or glorify in teamwork. I don't hold with that. Only go so far as putting up with the team and making sure you're out of the way when they need someone to throw at the tiger. Keep your wits about you and you can survive being social. Honest.

Amanda
  

My books and writing blog, with free stuff.
Find me on Facebook.and Twitter!


Popular posts from this blog

Spotting an aspie adult

Have you ever wondered how to spot an aspie adult, at a distance, without having to get too close? It would be so convenient, wouldn't it? To be able to detect the aspieness before you are drawn in, before there is any danger of becoming part of their mad world and waking up one morning, trying to work out where it all went wrong and what happened to all your socks.

Bearing in mind there are always exceptions that prove the rule, here is what you should look for.

In the supermarket I often wonder if I have spotted a fellow aspie. Walking along the aisles, it's easier to people watch than shop, usually because I've forgotten what I need. The supermarket is a good open space where you can spot aspies as they grapple with the complex practicalities of staying alive by food shopping.

The walk: Yes, from a distance or as they pass by, the walk is a dead giveaway. It seems to veer towards extremes, either a fast paced booster effect from A to B, or a meandering wander with no vi…

A Guide to your Aspie

So, you have your new aspie and are wondering what to do with him/her. Depending on size and gender, some of these instructions may need to be followed with caution but we are confident that you will be able to get the best out of your aspie for many trouble-free years to come!

(Disclaimer: we are not responsible for any physical, emotional or financial harm that may come to you when following these instructions. Once unboxed, your aspie is not eligible for our guaranteed swappage and refurbishment policy. Please have a good look at the aspie through the window provided before unboxing).

1. Unbox carefully and without making physical contact with the aspie. Pull down the box using the flaps provided and allow them to step free by themselves.

2. Allow your aspie free rein, to explore their surroundings. For ease of capture, we recommend not unboxing in an area that is too large or too small. Open fields would not be suitable, unless you are a long distance runner. Small rooms are to b…

Your life, on screen...required viewing for aspies and friends

I come to you today a wiser woman. Aren't we always saying, how good it would be to see ourselves as the world sees us? Well, thanks to a new Japanese anime show, I did just that. For the first time in my life, I saw what I look like from the outside.

Readers, this is not a paid review or anything officially linked to the Watamote, the anime. This is purely my response to something which, hum, how can I put it? Well, if I tell you that I sat through the whole show, with an expression of horror and recognition on my face, would that tell you how it was?

IT Teen had told me to watch it. He bought the manga first, the Japanese version. He waved it in my face and said, 'This is about yoooo!' I remember scowling at the book cover, to find a edgily-drawn girl scowling back at me. Yes, already it was accurate.

IT told me that it's a 'slice of life' story, all about this socially awkward girl called Tomoko. I thought, well, yes, I am socially awkward but that doesn…