Skip to main content

Everyone has a kettle! Aspie declarations in conversation.




With a flourish, the aspie rounds off the argument with,

'And anyway, everyone has a kettle!'

This may sound like the very end of a deconstructive monologue on modern consumerism, or it may sound too random even for that. In fact, many arguments with an aspie start and end with a Declaration.

Aspies are very focused people. To survive in the modern world, with no handbook, we need to know what things mean. Angry faces mean angry people, raised voices mean shouting, going to work means getting paid.

There is also this logical, slightly rigid outlook when describing objects. If we have a house with big windows, then a house with small windows is totally feasible but our image of a house will have big windows.

This is a very simplistic way of explaining that aspies see things the way they have grown up seeing them and have learnt to see them. Being rigid in the way we visualise certain aspects of life leaves our minds free to tussle with the harder to understand elements, like human behaviour.

It's not that we aren't capable of knowing life has many variations - we are amazingly complex people, you know! It's more that if we are to cope with these variations, we need some constants to keep us sane.

If I had to file through all the known variables of what people use as kettles every time I want to talk about making a cup of tea, then I would never get to the tea. I have to take it as a rule that everyone has a kettle. My ability to divert down other paths means if I hesitate and visualise the many kinds of kettle, then I will become absorbed in it and forget about the tea.

Imagine it: I want to talk about making tea but I suddenly visualise a beautiful, shining, old-fashioned copper-bottomed kettle, sitting on a hob, waiting to whistle. Very different from my cheap old plug-in but still a kettle. Then I remember the time the kettle broke and I had to boil water in a pan to make tea. Or the time before that, when I still had the microwave, and I tried using that to boil water for tea (just don't).

From there, the sky's the limit. Do I venture off into doll's house miniature kettles? Do I divert from that into kiddie-sized wooden kitchens with plastic kettles? Do I go sideways to coffee machines? Do I hop over to tea-makers?

Do I ever get to making the tea?

So, for the sake of your sanity and my need to talk about tea, let's just say everyone has kettles! I know it's not true; statistically there will be some people who (I blush to say it) don't drink tea or coffee. And there will be some who use other methods (like doll's house miniatures, for all I know).

But for now, everyone has kettles. And if that translates into everyone has _______ (fill in the blank) then forgive me, it's a short cut to a successful conversation.

And for those times when I argue the point and am adamant that everyone has a kettle? I'm sorry, I may believe it when I debate with you, red-faced and finger in the air. Or I may just be very tired of being told I'm wrong in the middle of stressful, complicated conversations.

Deal with it. Everyone has a kettle, okay?

Amanda




My books and writing blog, with free stuff.
Find me on Facebook.and Twitter!

Popular posts from this blog

Spotting an aspie adult

Have you ever wondered how to spot an aspie adult, at a distance, without having to get too close? It would be so convenient, wouldn't it? To be able to detect the aspieness before you are drawn in, before there is any danger of becoming part of their mad world and waking up one morning, trying to work out where it all went wrong and what happened to all your socks.

Bearing in mind there are always exceptions that prove the rule, here is what you should look for.

In the supermarket I often wonder if I have spotted a fellow aspie. Walking along the aisles, it's easier to people watch than shop, usually because I've forgotten what I need. The supermarket is a good open space where you can spot aspies as they grapple with the complex practicalities of staying alive by food shopping.

The walk: Yes, from a distance or as they pass by, the walk is a dead giveaway. It seems to veer towards extremes, either a fast paced booster effect from A to B, or a meandering wander with no vi…

A Guide to your Aspie

So, you have your new aspie and are wondering what to do with him/her. Depending on size and gender, some of these instructions may need to be followed with caution but we are confident that you will be able to get the best out of your aspie for many trouble-free years to come!

(Disclaimer: we are not responsible for any physical, emotional or financial harm that may come to you when following these instructions. Once unboxed, your aspie is not eligible for our guaranteed swappage and refurbishment policy. Please have a good look at the aspie through the window provided before unboxing).

1. Unbox carefully and without making physical contact with the aspie. Pull down the box using the flaps provided and allow them to step free by themselves.

2. Allow your aspie free rein, to explore their surroundings. For ease of capture, we recommend not unboxing in an area that is too large or too small. Open fields would not be suitable, unless you are a long distance runner. Small rooms are to b…

Your life, on screen...required viewing for aspies and friends

I come to you today a wiser woman. Aren't we always saying, how good it would be to see ourselves as the world sees us? Well, thanks to a new Japanese anime show, I did just that. For the first time in my life, I saw what I look like from the outside.

Readers, this is not a paid review or anything officially linked to the Watamote, the anime. This is purely my response to something which, hum, how can I put it? Well, if I tell you that I sat through the whole show, with an expression of horror and recognition on my face, would that tell you how it was?

IT Teen had told me to watch it. He bought the manga first, the Japanese version. He waved it in my face and said, 'This is about yoooo!' I remember scowling at the book cover, to find a edgily-drawn girl scowling back at me. Yes, already it was accurate.

IT told me that it's a 'slice of life' story, all about this socially awkward girl called Tomoko. I thought, well, yes, I am socially awkward but that doesn…