Skip to main content

I see an aspie in the distance




Aspie-dar doesn't just work when you meet someone: hearing about a person second-hand can also send a ping on the radar. It seems that even at a distance, Aspergers is recognisable.

IT's girlfriend, IT Girl, is on a new course at college (go on, guess what she's studying). She's the only girl and seems to be surrounded by, well, what looked like a group of mild-mannered students with a penchant for check shirts, faded jeans and bags large enough to fit a laptop. She gets on well with her group, she's made friends with almost all of them but she keeps coming home with talk of Tony.

Tony is loud, you know. IT Girl and her posse will be having a nice conversation about the elemental nature of gaming tech and in barges Tony with a joke about chickens. He hangs about on the outskirts of groups and makes comments at inappropriate moments.

He's just plain rude. He walks through doorways and holds the door open long enough to let himself through safely then leaves it to close without a backward glance. And he's incredibly immature.

I suggested he might be an aspie but IT Girl said he'd been on a test (I expect it wasn't a driving test or a test for colour-blindness) and he was just fiiine. He's obnoxious, that's all, and he thinks he's the most important person in the world!

Also, he invades personal space all the time and has no idea he's not wanted so he is just plain old rude.

Ahem.

I don't know Tony and I haven't seen him in action and I don't know the exact details of his chicken jokes. I haven't witnessed his personal space invasion or his badly-timed tricks with doors. I haven't even heard his loud voice which breaks through the whole room and makes everyone's nerves shiver.

I just have a feeling that a lot of the above will be familiar to aspies and their families. That if we haven't been guilty of space invasions (keep away, thank you very much) we will have seen aspies for whom personal space is that little point of fresh air right between your eye and theirs.

I know I've been the door-flapper (I really, really feel bad about some of those old ladies). I've done the voice and I've so very definitely done the jokes. I've also had a lot of experience hanging about on the outskirts of groups, waiting for the right moment to become part of things and wondering how everyone else got in there so quickly.

Tony might be rude. He might be a space-invading, door-flapping, voice-raising tick of a person whose sole reason for being in college is to annoy everyone around him.

Or he might go home each day confident that he has made progress: no noses whallopped with doors today and only one inappropriate comment over dinner.

Tomorrow might be the day he makes it into the group. And sooner or later they'll all understand his chicken jokes.

And once they do, he's free to spread his brilliance throughout the small universe of college life, no matter what people do to try and stop him.

Within every aspie there's a Tony waiting to break out and take over the world, quietly or with banging doors. It remains to be seen if, within this Tony, there is an aspie waiting to be heard.

Amanda




My books and writing blog, with free stuff.
Find me on Facebook.and Twitter!

Popular posts from this blog

Spotting an aspie adult

Have you ever wondered how to spot an aspie adult, at a distance, without having to get too close? It would be so convenient, wouldn't it? To be able to detect the aspieness before you are drawn in, before there is any danger of becoming part of their mad world and waking up one morning, trying to work out where it all went wrong and what happened to all your socks.

Bearing in mind there are always exceptions that prove the rule, here is what you should look for.

In the supermarket I often wonder if I have spotted a fellow aspie. Walking along the aisles, it's easier to people watch than shop, usually because I've forgotten what I need. The supermarket is a good open space where you can spot aspies as they grapple with the complex practicalities of staying alive by food shopping.

The walk: Yes, from a distance or as they pass by, the walk is a dead giveaway. It seems to veer towards extremes, either a fast paced booster effect from A to B, or a meandering wander with no vi…

A Guide to your Aspie

So, you have your new aspie and are wondering what to do with him/her. Depending on size and gender, some of these instructions may need to be followed with caution but we are confident that you will be able to get the best out of your aspie for many trouble-free years to come!

(Disclaimer: we are not responsible for any physical, emotional or financial harm that may come to you when following these instructions. Once unboxed, your aspie is not eligible for our guaranteed swappage and refurbishment policy. Please have a good look at the aspie through the window provided before unboxing).

1. Unbox carefully and without making physical contact with the aspie. Pull down the box using the flaps provided and allow them to step free by themselves.

2. Allow your aspie free rein, to explore their surroundings. For ease of capture, we recommend not unboxing in an area that is too large or too small. Open fields would not be suitable, unless you are a long distance runner. Small rooms are to b…

Your life, on screen...required viewing for aspies and friends

I come to you today a wiser woman. Aren't we always saying, how good it would be to see ourselves as the world sees us? Well, thanks to a new Japanese anime show, I did just that. For the first time in my life, I saw what I look like from the outside.

Readers, this is not a paid review or anything officially linked to the Watamote, the anime. This is purely my response to something which, hum, how can I put it? Well, if I tell you that I sat through the whole show, with an expression of horror and recognition on my face, would that tell you how it was?

IT Teen had told me to watch it. He bought the manga first, the Japanese version. He waved it in my face and said, 'This is about yoooo!' I remember scowling at the book cover, to find a edgily-drawn girl scowling back at me. Yes, already it was accurate.

IT told me that it's a 'slice of life' story, all about this socially awkward girl called Tomoko. I thought, well, yes, I am socially awkward but that doesn…